Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm growing a baby!

So it's a little obvious from the pose in the photo and the title of this post...K and I will be parents soon! Our precious little one is due on 4 October 2011: a day before my Granny's birthday (I think she must have had a say in this) and the same day that our dear friends C & F are expecting their 3rd little one. We are over the moon and super excited about this news.

I'm just over the 17 week mark, and let's just say that growing a baby is hard work. I've barely been able to look a computer in the evenings since week 6 (just after our Newcastle trip coincidently) and have neglected the blog in favour of sleep and Mad Men episodes. Lovely K and my parents have been cooking and feeding me (bland meals with no garlic and onions please) and generally just being patient with me through my moaning and groaning. I owe them all big time, I know. A friend at work said that if I give them a beautiful baby to cuddle at the end of it, they're sure to accept that as a fine reward.

I know it sounds silly, but I just didn't realise being pregnant could affect you this much. Although I understand all women experience pregnancy differently. I've always been a night owl and now my bedtime is around 8.30pm; I usually insisted on sourdough or grain bread and now all I can manage is fluffy white bread; and I used to love pottering about in the kitchen but now it is a minefield of hideous nausea-inducing smells. On the flip side, there are some pretty wonderful things about this stage too. It's not all bed rest and crackers. People are genuinely happy for you, hair gets shiny, skin gets soft and your loved one will happily bring you a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice every morning.

Look forward to sharing this journey with you. x

11 comments:

  1. oh congratulations! what a blessing. I just posted about naturopathy in pregnancy, you may want to have a read! Take care gorgeous Muma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. if you are going to read any birth books, buy Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. Read it, read it again and then get your partner to read it.

    Sorry to hear that you are still feeling a little queasy. Some women don't feel really well until about 20 weeks. Be patient and surrender - it's the key to mothering and you're learning about it right now! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to ya. Growing babies is a tough gig. I hope you start feeling better soon. Keep your eye on the prize- when you hold your swidgey little worm in October all the nausea, delirium and fuzzy brain will subside. Look forward to following your little person's journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw look at that gorgeous belly! Congratulations!

    I was totally exhausted in the first trimester too :: things get better during the second trimester.

    Enjoy this very special time.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. woohooo babies! congratulations! Yes, making a human is hard- but oh so worth it. Our little lady is 3 months today and i can hardly take my hands off her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Time goes so fast when you are pregnant. Soon you will have more energy but now that I think about it the "going to bed early" is a good practice for when the baby will be there ;) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I am 18 weeks and the fatigue is NO JOKE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I have been utterly exhausted this pregnancy too and as for the kitchen, it's been my least favourite place too - I've been sticking to bland foods as well. As for the maternity jeans, I went back and bought a second pair today as it was 1 for $70 or 2 for $109 so I figured for an extra $39, why not get another pair? Last pregnancy, I made do with stretchy clothes too - lots of jersey fabric tops and dresses but I did borrow some maternity jeans last time and figured being pregnant over winter this time, they were a bit of a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! That is so exciting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful news! Congratulations. Such a joyous journey ahead of you. I totally hear you on the nausea thing. Ugh. Can't wait to hear more about your pregnancy as it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, I slept a good 12 hours a night when I was pregnant. I think I was stocking up, because I haven't slept much since baby was born. ;-)

    ReplyDelete