Wednesday, August 7, 2013

There's going to be a baby

 photo DSC_0374_zps7e9788a7.jpg
Thank you for all the sweet comments on our announcement. It feels exciting and all very real now that the nausea is behind me. There's going to be a baby...in just over 4 months.

Of course there is much to look forward to about having a new baby, but I find myself constantly focusing on what it will feel like to watch a relationship develop between Saskia and this new little one. Already Saskia is quite fascinated by babies; besotted with her dearest cousin, Baby Bea, and new little friend, Baby Elle, and inclined to kiss baby strangers on the head (cute but a tad embarrassing at times). I'm under no illusion that this is certain to pave the way for a strong, instant and unwavering bond, but I'm grateful and happy that the interest is there.

We've been reading a lot of books lately about new babies in the family, being a big sister, and books that illustrate the ways of babies in gentle and subtle ways. Here are some of our favourites:

There's a House Inside my Mummy ... Giles Andreae and Vanessa Cabban
There's Going to be a Baby ... John Burningham and Helen Oxenbury (I fell truly madly deeply for the illustrations in the bookstore)
Rosie's Babies ... Martin Waddell, Penny Dale
101 Things to do with a Baby ... Jan Ormerod (I rave briefly about this beautiful classic here)
Ellen and Penguin and the New Baby ... Clara Vulliamy
I'm a Big Sister ... Joanna Cole

Please let me know if you and your little ones have any favourites. I'd love to hear.

4 comments:

  1. I've been really interested in books for kids about new babys/siblings. We want to have a second at some point in the future so it's definitely something on our minds. Thank you for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list will definitely come in handy over the coming months for us too :-) Congratulations again beautiful one xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap! Just like with our first babies I think I'm a couple of weeks behind you, haha (I really should blog that some time, oops). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had this list for Grace when I was pregnant with Sophie :) My girls have become such little buddies lately, giving each other cuddles all the time, actually playing and chatting away together (as opposed to alongside one another) and walking along holding hands... it's one of the best parts of motherhood watching their relationship unfold :)

    ReplyDelete