Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sleep

sleep

So the truth is Little One sleeps with us and I love it.

She started out sleeping in her bassinet but it soon became apparent (around 7 weeks) that she was much happier being closer to her Mama, firmly tucked into a nurturing nook. Sleepless nights and hours of rocking back to sleep turned into dreamy wakings and easy feedings. Being able to meet her needs immediately, as well as the warmth and comfort of a shared bed, has meant that the Little One sleeps so soundly.
It makes me happy to know that she's secure and content.

Although I'm still feeding her a few times a night, I feel like I am able to have more sleep: I don't leave the bed as she begins snoozing as soon as she's finished. Sometimes I'm awake to hear those sweet slumber sighs or to smell that delicious milk breath. But mostly I'm not.

In the morning, just after the light begins to seep in past the curtains, I feel little kicks at my belly. Just want you to know I'm starting to wake up, Mama. If I'm lucky though, I might wake up to little hands exploring my face and wide gummy smiles. And so the day begins.

*A lovely neighbour had lent me this book which was helpful. As I knew I might meet a bit of reluctance about our sleeping arrangements the book gave me confidence in that I had made an informed decision. In particular, there is some great information about the benefits of co-sleeping such as greater breastmilk supply, increased sensitivity to mother's/baby's communication, lower stress levels and temperature regulation. Co-sleeping is not for every Mama and baby, but it is working for us at this moment.

*Photo taken at 9 weeks

14 comments:

  1. Awww. There's nothing sweeter than a sleeping baby. She's gorgeous.

    That's a great book! It also helped me relax into our cosleeping arrangement. It felt so natural and right for us. You can always trust mothers intuition...the best advice I was ever given.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately the best way to get some sleep with little ones :). You may also like some books written by Pinky McKay....google her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, isn't it?
    We do it too, and although we're transitioning a bit at the moment, I've found that it's been the best way to get good sleep for all of us (I feel like our little one has "slept through" from the beginning, even though he wakes several times a night) and I'm sure it has something to do with him being such an easy going baby. Or maybe not. But regardless, I think it's a wonderful thing, and if it works for you now, then go with it until it doesn't!
    She's just lovely, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh look at that beautiful face. And I'm so happy co-sleeping is working for you guys. We're planning on having our little one in the moses basket right next to our bed, but who knows! Every Mama to thier own!

    Thank you for your lovely message too, fingers crossed Ill be posting gorgeous pictures of our bub soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. she is total perfection. nothing like milky breath- oh.... i need a new tiny milky baby!!!!!!!!!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  6. We absolutely plan on having our babies in bed with us. My parents did the same and I intend to be just as relaxed about sleeping time because man, we both need sleep!

    Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice is 9 months old and she sleeps with us most of the night. The first part of the night is in her crib (also in our bedroom) because a) I don't go to bed at 7:30 and b) I can't leave her in our bed by herself because if she wakes up and crawl = big problem. Cosleeping made my life (and Alice's) super enjoyable. I don't know how long we will cosleep but, you know, one day (night) at the time. Take care xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your insights - you offer them so gently and beautifully. We're still a few weeks away from meeting our little one, but we'd like to co-sleep. My mum did that with me (and her three other children) and we were the better for it! Not to mention to extra rest she said it gave her. Truly, with the baby so close to me now, I can't imagine wanting it different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so cuddly and dreamy. We did lots of co-sleeping here, too. I'm all for whatever works. Anything for more sleep! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I slept with all three of mine - the first one secretly but in the end I was happy to admit to it. I slept better, they slept better and nothing can take away that closeness.
    enjoy these precious moments - all to soon they grow up and you are left with wonderful memories
    L
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here, here! Cosleeping is much more conducive to a good night's rest. You are good figuring this out so early - it took me months to accept this was my girl, to stop 'fighting' her and to full-time cosleep (her bassinet, and then cot, have always been in our room, so I mean bedsharing). We are transitioning her back into the cot at the moment with success so far, but it's nice to know whenever she is teething/overtired/unwell/whatever we can revert to pulling her into bed with us. Everly likes to wake me up with super loud gurgling and shrieking noises and a couple of swift whacks to the head - yours sound much nicer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am exactly the same with my little boy. I love co-sleeping. I want to make a t'shirt that reads. I CO-SLEEP AND PROUD OF IT : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as the middle of the night feeds are tiring, I secretly love snuggling up to my little girl. Those night cuddles are precious x

    ReplyDelete
  14. you describe co-sleeping and the wonders of it beautifully, aptly, graciously, and humbly. really. thanks.

    i always sound either like such a know-it-all if i even begin to broach the topic or i don't give it enough credit.

    www.adenverhomecompanion.com

    ReplyDelete