Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ahead

Photobucket

I've been thinking a lot about how this Little One is growing, developing, changing...and how quickly it seems to be happening. She points, sings, responds to questions, explores confidently, moves freely, demands, sighs, tests boundaries, moves, questions, entertains. And oh, how she laughs. Already she is a little person. Taking everything in. Absorbing it all. Sometimes I allow myself to look ahead and the thoughts makes me giddy.

We've enrolled Saskia in the Parent and Toddler programme at the local Montessori school (only 10 minutes down the road), which she will attend from 18 months. As an educator, this approach has always appealed to me, and as a parent it intrigues and excites me. Lately I've been reading more about Montessori philosophies - in particular, providing environments which support growing independence, and creating spaces which are accessible and aesthetically pleasing. Flowers in small vases, wooden utensils for little hands, nature boxes, adjustable furniture, carefully chosen toys, a clean and simple aesthetic. I think it's a great place to start exploring Montessori's ideas, and to use what works for us.

So much to look forward to.

Oh and spring is just around the corner.

*So many simple ideas for Montessori-inspired activities at home here - and a beautiful learning space here.

15 comments:

  1. Are they daphne blooms? Such a beautiful, delicate scent.

    And I completely feel your sentiments about the speedy-rates my baby boy is growing... and on the inviting, imagination-noursihing, simple aesthetics of the Montessori approach! I'd love to find a similar program when Reuben is that age.

    Hurrah for spring for you, and autumn for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the first sprigs plucked from our garden. The smell just says spring, doesn't it?

      Looking forward to seeing autumn unfold on your side of the world and your little boy grow through those beautiful photos on your blog x

      Delete
  2. Very inspiring post. Thank you. (Plus, I love daphne).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to that blog... I've just been reading about Montessori methods for our home and have also signed our little one up for the local parent & toddler group. Loving the emphasis on simple toys (and putting them away after play, haha!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear if you come across any other interesting sites, blogs, articles, Tess...Ha! The orderly look of Montessori spaces appeals to me too ;) (that's the Capricorn in me) x

      Delete
  4. The daphne looks beautiful
    The appeal of simple, clean living is hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, please let me know when you start. It would be fun if Saskia and Otis were in the same class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will...I might be a bit starstruck, if so ;) x

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoy your Montessori group. I went to Montessori myself, and from what mums says we loved it, however since having my children have become so interested in Steiner education. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know as much about Steiner...But I do know that the local Steiner school puts on a killer fete ;) (always beautifully organised, lots of crafts, delicious foods, great plants....and stunning art activities for children - at the last one we went to they were making flower crowns - gorgeous!) x

      Delete
  7. Sounds perfect Claire! I've been looking into Montessori concepts more and more myself lately too. Are you a teacher too? Your vase of blooms above is very sweet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :) Although I'm not in the classroom anymore as I work in gallery education (no marking, no staff meetings - heaven!) x

      Delete
    2. Marking, reports, meetings etc. are all the reasons I'm in no hurry to return to my teaching job :)

      Delete