Sunday, February 5, 2012

remembering to remember

first tomato of the season

I had my haircut the other day and got a head massage. The best part about a haircut, right? Bliss. But my hairdresser did this amazing thing before the massage which was so simply wonderful. It was a fancy place so I think it was their 'thing'. (Or maybe I've just been out of the salon game for too long and they do this stuff everywhere? whatever though, it totally worked for me). She dipped her fingers in Aveda Blue Oil, leant down onto my shoudlers and told me to take three long deep breaths...Three deep breaths, then a quiet easy calm.

It made me realise that I've been a bit scattered lately. Too much on my mind, too many projects I want to start, too much thinking about fun dates to fill the remaining days of K's leave.

I recently read this book and have earmarked many pages. I'm reading it again for a second time. Developing mindfulness is a challenge, but I've found I'm a better mother to Saskia when I remember to remember, when I pay attention, and stay in the present moment.

*first tomato from the garden this year

10 comments:

  1. So true. Don't we ALWAYS have too much on our minds? I think I need to visit your hairdresser ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a trip to the hairdresser is a great way to clear a mama's mind....even if you spend the time reading trashy mags!x

      Delete
  2. I have been feeling much the same this last week... I find myself feeling guilty at times when playing with Gus but I'm thinking of other things...

    I saw this book when I was pregnant but never ended up getting it as I couldn't seem to focus on anything but Ina May. Might be a good one to get now though me thinks?

    Thanks for your comment, lovely to see you 'round my way ;) You would LOVE the cafe at the farm, and the farm too for that matter! It's gorgeous, so hard to believe you are a stones throw away from the city.

    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've found the book to be so grounding and really gentle on the concept of motherhood. i got into the habit of reading a bit every night and it made me feel so much calmer...a lot of what you read goes beyond motherhood too, of course..and there's an hilarious article in the back that will have you nodding along and laughing.

      ps i was an ina may fan too. couldn't get enough of that book when pregnant! x

      Delete
  3. Firstly, I want a new haircut picture lady. Need mine cut and want inspiration!

    Secondly, I'm learning to live in the moment day by day too. Ben is the best at this...I'm sure that's why we're the perfect team. His spontineity and my anal organisational skills equate to the best combo! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh, i'm too shy! and i wasn't that adventurous. it's a boring below the shoulders look at the moment - but handy when you only have 5 minutes to get ready and can pin it up into a pony! i did ask her about cutting my hair short and she came up with a cool idea...so now i can have 8 weeks to get used to the idea before it gets lopped off!

      ps k and i work much the same as you guys...thank god for spontaneous and fun boys x

      Delete
  4. Wow, that place DOES look fancy. I need an oily head massage pronto!

    I know what you mean about feeling scatty. How can this be when it's only February? Aren't we supposed to feel refreshed and ready for the new year?!

    I agree, staying in the present is much more important. Everything else can wait...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's weird isn't it?! i've only just got the feeling that it's time to refresh and renew...x

      Delete
  5. Oh how I wish I could visit your hairdresser - a picture of your new do maybe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is it silly for a blogger to say she's too shy?!x

      Delete