Friday, January 4, 2013

Wishes for the New Year

Photobucket
K and I saw in the new year on our balcony under the twinkle of stars and fairylights. We talked about friendships, astronomy (ok, K talked and I listened) and new books.... I hadn't though about resolutions before new year's eve but I've been pondering some for a few days now. This year my resolutions aren't particularly brave or too different to what I've been doing, they seem to be a slight shift, a small change in direction. Sometimes, some years, that's all it is.

Wishing you all light and love in 2013 x

...write letters, make cards, send handwritten wishes, post clippings...do you know I'm still in the process of sending thank you cards for Saskia's 1st birthday? I'm probably about 3/4 way through a rather long list, and while it is taking me many more weeks than I had imagined, I've grown quite fond of taking my time to write out a heartfelt message (usually one or two every few days), imagining the smile a washi taped envelope might bring to someone's day. 

...finish Saskia's quilt and baby book...K will take holidays in February and I'm going to use a little bit of that time to make a good start on Saskia's baby book. The beautiful white leather bound album I bought from here sits on my desk and beckons to be filled. The quilt project I think I'll save until the cool Autumn nights.

...give handmade where possible...I made quite a few gifts for friends and family last year and I'd love to try to continue doing this this year. The response to a handmade present is always more heartening than you can imagine.

...make do...we start the year without my maternity leave & parental payments, and although we are still incredibly fortunate to have the security of K's salary, the change will mean that we have to be extra careful with (and more aware of spending) our  money. I can use what I already have in my wardrobe and craft stash with a few small thrifty purchases where necessary, and would love to learn to be a little more resourceful in the kitchen and garden. With this resolution particularly, I know I'll find inspiration in many of your blogs.

11 comments:

  1. Wishing you a delicious 2013! I still have not only Remy's but Bijou's baby books to finish! Coming to the conclusion I may very well abandon the whole thing and make a gorgeous collage of pictures with hearfelt words beside it instead. Handmade pressies really are the best and making do...it can become quite addictive channelling your inner Nana ;) May your days be blissful :) x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think that is the way to go. I much prefer to see baby books made like that...I'm sure I'll be going to your little space for inspiration for handmade goodness x

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Claire! Wishing you a year ahead filled with happiness, fun times and peaceful days. Your goals are all very achievable - which album have you bought for Saskia? Baby albums are projects I too am yet to get onto. I'm starting on Sophie's quilt this year too - I made Grace's right before having Sophie and am eager to make this one in a more slow-paced time frame :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear one!...I bought a custom made album in a square format - and one which is bound in such a way that it will accommodate all the bits and pieces I am hoping to stick in. It was quite an investment (I feel like I'm saying this a lot lately!) but I think it will be beautiful - and might even motivate me to finish the project! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for Sophie's quilt. Oh god, have you mastered binding?! I'm terrified! (and think that's why I'm stalled!) x

      Delete
    2. I was putting the finishing touches on it four days before Sophie was born :) My beautiful friend from work knew how desperate I was to finish it for Grace before her little sister arrived and seeing as I'd not done the binding before, offered to attach it for me. I was SOOO grateful as the binding was scaring me and is something I will need to master this time round. Let me know if you find any good tutorials and master the knack of doing so... x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I'm hoping it'll be a beautiful and bright one x

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you too :-) I love the colours in the picture - so summery. I think your last resolution is along similar lines to some of mine .. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the sounds of your cupboard quinoa salad (I think?), I'll find inspiration in your resourcefulness. It's seems like quite an art to me! x
      (ps. I took that photo a few weeks ago now - but it could have easily been taken a few days ago. My mum's roses are still flowering. crazy...and the little blue Mexican bird makes me happy each time I look at him)

      Delete
  5. I think sometimes, some years, it's all that's needed, too. I'm also going to try give more handmade gifts this year (although it's always a challenge when you know certain people won't appreciate it...) As for making do, we've been on one income for two years now and, as Steph said, the challenge can get quite addictive! Wishing you and your family an amazing 2013! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gentle change is good ;)
    Happy 2013 to you lovely lady xx

    ReplyDelete